Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Future Bobby Flay

Jack has a new obsession.  He still loves sports balls, soccer, football, basketball, tennis, pretty much anything spherical that can be thrown across a room.  But he is loving the kitchen.  I have to hold him the entire time I cook, which is not easy, given that he weighs one-quarter of my own body weight.  Um, yeah.  So I end up with quite a backache by the time dinner is ready, and I've even been putting him in the back carrier so that I can get dinner made with  minimal tears (his or mine).  Then I came up with an idea.  I thought back to the success of the snow in the kitchen (which is a super activity, but I can't really deal with a mess of that scale every night at dinner time) and I revamped it a little.  I pulled out a pan, filled it with some ice cubes, and gave him a spoon.  Voila!  Instant entertainment!




The only problem I'm now running into is that Jack insists on taking out every pan we own and dumping the ice from one to the other, leaving me with at least four extra pans to wash once dinner is ready.  A child-proof latch on the pan cabinet and we'll really be in business!  The next solution is that I'm going to enroll him in cooking school and relinquish all kitchen duties to him, effective immediately.  It's not child labor when it's something they enjoy, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment