Saturday, May 8, 2010

I'm Only a Mom Because...

...of two very special little people in my life. 

Claire, my first born...my baby who taught me what unconditional love feels like.  My smart, sweet, funny little girl.  You make me smile every day just by being yourself.  You are independent and want to do everything for yourself.  As much as it is frustrating, like when I am in a hurry to get to work and you insist on buckling your car seat yourself, I know it is a necessary part of you becoming your own person.  And I smile a little to myself because you don't realize how much you still need me...and I don't know what I'll do when you truly are an independent person and do not need me (as much!) anymore.  You are caring and show love and understanding to everyone you meet.  My little performer, always putting on a show either by singing, dancing, or just having fun and being silly.  My girl who helps me remember to slow down and enjoy life, particularly when you point out the spring flowers outside of our house every morning when we leave.  Without you I may not have noticed yesterday on my way to work that my entire lilac bush is in bloom and that it smells wonderful.  I love you, baby.




And Jack, my handsome little man.  My serious guy who takes time to figure out things.  Who will sit and play by yourself for over an hour, exploring the toys, figuring out how things work, and putting things together.  Who tried last week to jam my mascara tube down the heating register in the bathroom.  My thinker.  My special baby who taught me that my love could double, that my heart could expand further than I ever dreamed possible.  You still need me to do everything for you and I love it.  You are over a year old and you don't sleep through the night but it's okay because I get to cuddle with you in your dark, quiet room, hold you and snuggle you until you drift back asleep.  Most nights I fall asleep with you, resting my cheek on your head, and I love it.  I complain about being tired, but I know that someday you will sleep all night long, you won't need me anymore at night, and I will miss it.  I don't let you cry yourself to sleep because someday you will learn on your own how to go to sleep without crying, but right now, you need me.  And that makes me feel like the most important person in the world.  I love you, buddy.


Thank you, Claire and Jack, for letting me be your mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment