Sunday, June 12, 2011

Relay for Life 2011

Each year, my school has a Relay for Life team.  I've always donated a little here and there in the past, either by buying fun knick-knacks at the team's garage sale to use in practical jokes on my work friends, or getting a 50/50 ticket when I actually have some cash on me.  In honor of a very good friend of our family, Claire and I decided to be actual members of my school's team and participate in the walk. 

When I asked about registering Claire for our team, I found out that it's kind of a hassle for little kids to be active team members, since the parents have to fill out release forms and what not.  I felt bad that Claire and Jack wouldn't have a t-shirt like the rest of us, so we decided to tie-dye our own shirts.

 Mr. Cool

 Skoi-Yase team mascots!

 Deep in conversation, over a cookie or two.

 When the school band went by, the kids thought they were at a parade.  They loved it!  Jack, of course, danced to the music.


 Claire had fun at the kids' Home Depot tent.  She picked this shelf as her project and helped me nail and glue it together. 

She was so proud of her hard work!  She stood by the track and held the shelf out for everyone to see.  She even said, "Mommy, I'm going to stand over here and show everyone my shelf when they walk by."

Turns out, I'm not a great fundraiser and didn't contribute very much to our team.  But, we had a lot of fun and I think the kids (well, Claire anyway) learned a good lesson about helping others.  We're definitely looking forward to being involved again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment