Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy happy happy summer! And PS, Betsy stunk at Father's Day.

Ahhhhh....the first day of summer!  There is nothing like the end of June, when school is just about out and we have the anticipation of 73 beautiful summer days ahead of us.  Yes, I counted.  73...I quite like that number.  So far we have nothing fun officially planned, but there will definitely be a NYC trip (obviously) and possibly a first-ever J. Dunham family camping trip.  Jeff's parents bought a new RV, the kind that you drive around the country, set up camp, and enjoy new amazing things in.  It's no secret that I don't camp, but I am pretty excited to try this thing out.  It has heat, hot water, and a tv...I think I can handle it!

So.  Sunday was Father's Day.  I totally dropped the ball, big time.  Jeff had a lacrosse tournament to coach in Buffalo on Saturday, so the kids and I were home alone from 6am until about 9pm.  Until the day before the tournament, Jeff thought he might be staying in Buffalo for the night Saturday.  I wasn't expecting him home until late morning on Sunday.  So, I planned nothing.  Then, he decided that he was going to come home after the last game, because he worked it out so that he didn't have to be there to coach on Sunday.  Phew!  Yay!  Daddy will be home for Father's Day!  Big cheers and happy people abound!  Well, except that I still didn't plan anything.

 We did make smoothies, from fresh fruit.

And pancakes with fresh blueberries.

Then we (I) wasted a bunch of time getting ready for the day before we could finally leave.  We went to see Jeff's parents, then stopped at Nonny and Poppy's, to drop off cards from the kids and us.  We had lunch at a new hotdog (Jeff's favorite, so I may have scored a point or two there) place in town.  While the kids napped Jeff mowed the lawn, and then he had a summer soccer game that night.  After bringing the kids to watch the game and play on the playground, which I was certain would tire them out completely, we came home to get ready for bed.  They were out of control crazy and the night culminated with me throwing Jack's sippy cup across the room, aiming for the bathroom, yet hitting the wall and having it land in his shoe basket, at which point both children cracked up laughing because it was so funny that Mommy made a basket, instead of trembling in fear as they should have been.  Nice.  Real nice.

Next Father's Day I will definitely have to make up for this one.  Jeff's birthday in Thursday and I must make it special.  Last year I did forget to wish him a happy birthday until after we were both at work.  My track record is not so good as of late...

No comments:

Post a Comment